Workshop: Insights into Relational Database Queries
The goal of the workshop
The goal is to learn the base elements of T-SQL querying: what elements are different from the standard and how you need to think when you develop database queries.
What will we do in this workshop?
In this workshop you will go through different database queries and do exercises for them, having increased difficulty level. For each example you’ll have the possibility to compare your solution with the one provided by the trainer.
You are in the target of the audience if you:
- Want to learn about database querying in SQL Server or any other relational database.
- You already started to implement database queries but you want to learn more deeply how they work.
What will you learn at the end?
You will learn to write queries which are portable to multiple database systems. Aside of this you will learn the theory which is the basis of the relational database systems.
At the end of this course you will know that a query is an operation on multiple sets and not an iteration. You will have insight about what is and what is not guaranteed by the language.
What tools do you need installed on your computer before the workshop starts?
- SQL Server 2017 Developer or Express edition: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/sql-server/sql-server-downloads
- SQL Server Management Studio 18.2: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/ssms/download-sql-server-management-studio-ssms?view=sql-server-2017
- AdventureWorks database for SQL Server 2017 from the OLTP section: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/samples/adventureworks-install-configure?view=sql-server-2017
After you register to the workshop the installation steps will be provided.